2012 Arnold/Jones/Evans Scholarship
Every year, the Nevada State AFL-CIO sponsors the ARNOLD/JONES/EVANS Scholarship.
Children of union members are eligible for this scholarship. We encourage Culinary members' children to apply!
Applications and information are available at the Culinary Union office or below. The deadline is July 20, 2012.This scholarship requires a written essay.
2012 ESSAY QUESTION:
Because a 2/3rd majority of the Legislature is required in order to pass a tax or a fee, it is unlikely that a tax reform measure could be passed by the Legislature.
This State is in dire condition because of an antiquated tax system, which relies on gaming and tourism to fund the state budget -- 50% of it going to education. Many businesses pay no taxes in this state and yet businesses will not come here because the education system is considered the worst in the country.
Should businesses in this State pay a net profits business tax to fund education? What are the points you would make to the business community to convince them that reforming Nevada’s Tax System and directing more tax dollars to education is the right thing to do to help spur job growth and strengthen Nevada’s economy?
The purpose of this essay contest is to award three (3) $3,000.00 scholarships for attending an accredited public or private University, Community College, Vocational or Technical School anywhere in the United States.
Requirements and Eligibility Criteria:
- There will be three (3) $3,000.00 scholarships awarded to three students.
- Applicants must be a natural or legally adopted child of an active or retired member in good standing of any local union affiliated with the Nevada State AFL-CIO.
- Applicants must be graduating high school seniors when making application.
- Applicants must currently have a 2.0 grade point average and have maintained such for their last full year of school prior to application.
- Financial need is NOT a criteria for this scholarship.
- Applications may be picked up at any Nevada State AFL-CIO affiliated local union.
- A copy of the grade transcript to support claim of 2.0 grade point average and a statement of career goals or intent must accompany the application.
- All applications must be accompanied by a written essay, 1,000 words minimum, on the subject designated by the Nevada State AFL-CIO Executive Board.
- Essays should be submitted on 8 ½" by 11" paper, on one side, preferably typed and double spaced, with applicants’ written signature at the conclusion of the essay.
- Applications must be mailed and postmarked by July 20, 2012 to:
Danny L. Thompson
Nevada State AFL-CIO
1891 Whitney Mesa Drive
Henderson, NV 89014
- The Scholarship Committee will review all applications to assure that all eligibility criteria and requirements have been followed and met.
- Essays will be reviewed by a selected committee and scored by at least three readers.
- Failure on the part of the applicant to meet the rules may subject the applicant to disqualification by the Committee. If disqualified, the decision of the Scholarship Committee will be final.
- Scholarships will be awarded after acceptance to school of applicant’s choice.
- An appropriate notification will be presented to the winners by an Officer of the Nevada State AFL-CIO prior to August 15, 2012.
- The Scholarship will be awarded at the Nevada State AFL-CIO Annual Convention, August 2012, in Reno, Nevada.
If you have any questions, please contact the Nevada State AFL-CIO at 702-459-1414,
Click here for application.